Welcome to the site, my name is Jeff and I have been working in the IT field since the early 90's. Most of what I post here is related to work that I do for the various companies that I have worked for over the years. Please feel free to look around ask questions or post comments (if available).
Feel free to reach out:
Windows Server 2012 Single Node Cluster
So this posting is a re-hash of a post that I did over a year ago when Windows 2012 was still Windows Server 8.
SCOM 2007 R2 and Get-Event
It’s been a very long time since I last posted, the primary reason is most likely laziness on my part and secondly I’ve not had a lot to write about. Recently I’ve been messing around with Orchestrator and automation as a means of passing information off to Zenoss. On the face of it, it seemed a rather trivial task, but it took much longer than I anticipated. The first go round with this was a very simple runbook. It had two activities, Monitor Alert and Run .Net Script. The Monitor Alert activity was configured to look for alerts that were not Information alerts. Once an alert occurred that met that criteria it was passed off to the Run .Net Script. The Run .Net Script activity simply created a simple log entry with PowerShell.
SCOM 2007 R2 and Get-Event
For whatever reason I’ve not been able to find what I’ve been looking for regarding this cmdlet. Namely a decent example of it’s use with regards to the –Criteria parameter. For better or worse I have several event collectors setup and it would be nice to ask SCOM for a list of specific events. Normally you would think that would be simple, and perhaps for some it is, but for me I was having some issues, that is until yesterday.
DPM 2010 console crashes when pushing an agent install
This is a new one for me, I’ve been running DPM for quite a while now and I’ve not seen this behavior. In a recent staff meeting it came up that the DPM server was having some RPC issues, so since I’m jonesing for stuff to do I said I wouldn’t mind taking a look at it.
Managing Hotfixes Centrally
Historically I’ve not paid much attention to hotfixes or patches, but lately I’ve decided that I need to change that aspect of my management. I used to create a folder on the server that had the problem, copy the patch down and then apply it. As I become responsible for more and more servers, I decided that I needed a slightly better way to handle that. Also, since I tend to do pretty much anything in PowerShell I figured I needed to write some functions to do it for me. The result was the QfeLibrary.ps1, it contains several functions that can be used to help you manage your hotfixes.