Download and install Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express
Download and install Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Toolkit
Configure the built-in SQL instance for remote management by SQL Server Management Studio Express
- Open the “SQL server Configuration Manager”
- Right-click the line “Protocols for MICROSOFT##SSEE” and choose “Properties”
- Set “hide instance” field is set to “no” instead
- Under protocols, enable TCP/IP and Named Pipes
- Restart the microsoft##ssee service
I found the above steps here.
Access the SQL instance using SQL Server Management Studio Express
- Start SQL Server Management Studio Express
- Connect to this instance: .pipeMSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEEsqlquery
- You may need to check Windows Authentication
I found the instance name here.
Now that you have access to the instance you may perform regular tasks to it, such as backing it up, detaching it and so on.